Two more coronavirus cases brings total in Wales to six

Two more coronavirus cases brings total in Wales to six

Two more cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Wales, bringing the total cases in the country to six, its chief medical officer has confirmed. One patient from Neath Port Talbot had recently returned from northern Italy while the second patient from Newport had returned from southern Italy. They are not linked to each other.

On Monday, Dr Frank Atherton said both people were being treated in "clinically-appropriate settings" and that Wales was prepared for further cases of the virus.

Dr Atherton said: "I can confirm that two additional individuals in Wales have tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of positive cases in Wales to six.

"Both individuals are being managed in clinically-appropriate settings. All appropriate measures to provide care for the individuals and to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to assure the public that Wales and the whole of the UK is prepared for these types of incidents. Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public."

Dr Giri Shankar, incident director for the novel coronavirus outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said the process of identifying those who have had close contact with the new cases was under way.

As of last Friday, 634 people in Wales had been tested, with more than 90% having done so at their homes.

Published: by Radio NewsHub
Start your relationship

If you are interested in receiving bulletins from Radio News Hub or would simply like to find out more please fill in the form below.

We aim to get back to you within 48 hours